Home Page

Additional Needs (SEN)

Special Educational Needs Information Report

At Eastern Green Junior School we strive to support all pupils to enable them to achieve at school. Quality first teaching is the best way to support children in achieving their best however; occasionally, support may need to be given to help children meet their targets.


The Children and Families Act 2014

As part of the Children and Families Act 2014 all schools are now required to publish their school’s Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) provision on their website.

This document is intended to give you information regarding the ways in which we support all our pupils, including those with SEND. It may not list every skill, resource and technique that we employ, as these are continually changing and developing.

In our Information Report we aim to address the most commonly asked questions of parents of children with SEND.


Who should I contact if I am concerned that my child may have SEND?

Special Educational Needs Coordinator

The provision for children with SEN is overseen by Mrs Albans the school SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator). At Eastern Green Junior School, the SENCo is responsible for the operational running of the SEN policy and the co-ordination of the provision for pupils with SEN.

If you have any concerns regarding your child and would like to speak to our SENCo please contact Mrs Albans on 02476465077 or call into school to make an appointment.


Class teacher

Your child’s class teacher will be able to discuss their current attainment levels and explain any concerns with their progress. They will be happy to discuss any of your concerns with you and can pass on any relevant information to the SENCo.


My child has Special Educational Needs. What can you offer at Eastern Green Junior School?

We are an inclusive, mainstream school. We endeavour to meet the needs of all children through quality first teaching. A small number of our pupils do have special educational needs. A pupil is identified as having special educational needs when they are making limited, or no progress and the interventions, resources and support we normally put in place do not have a positive effect.

Typically, children with SEN in our school have difficulties with social and communication development, speech and language difficulties and sensory difficulties with sight or hearing.  


How will the school know that my child has Special Educational Needs or a Disability?

Our class teachers closely monitor the progress of all children through     assessments and termly formal assessments. The teachers carefully analyse any data and seek advice from the SENCo as soon as they have concerns about a pupil. The SENCo can advise the class teacher on strategies or special programmes that may allow the child to make the required progress. If these do not work then typically, the class teacher would inform the SENCo and we would meet with the parents/carers to discuss together whether it is appropriate to put additional support in place to address their Special Educational Needs. An Individual Education Plan (IEP) would then be written, explaining how your child’s needs will be addressed and will be reviewed with parents/carers termly.


Where can I find information about the school’s SEND policy?

The school’s SEN policy is on the website under Key information and policies.


How will you and I know that my child is making progress?

Each term a review meeting will be held with the class teacher and parents and carers. Where appropriate the class teaching assistant and SENCo may attend. At this meeting the progress your child has made towards their current targets will be discussed. Any other issues that either the school, or yourselves have about your child’s progress and learning will also be discussed.  A record of this meeting will be given to you along with an IEP with the current targets and expected actions that will aim to ensure your child meets these targets.

During the year the progress your child is making towards age expected expectations will be tracked by the SENCo. At Eastern Green we expect children identified as having SEN to make similar progress to their peers. If they are not doing so then the SENCo will work with the class teacher, teaching assistant and outside agencies, where appropriate, to ensure future progress can be made.


How will teachers help my child to learn?

At Eastern Green all teachers have high expectations for all their pupils in terms of both learning and behaviour. All teaching is based on what the children already know and what they need to learn in order to move forward with their learning. Learning is adapted to take account of children’s needs. This may involve more practical learning or providing different resources for specific children, including those identified as having SEN. The class teacher will ensure that any individual targets set on the IEP are being met. This may include 1:1 or small group work, which may be led by a teaching assistant who will follow planning or guidance from the class teacher. Parents will be kept fully informed at both IEP reviews and parents evening. Information regarding the curriculum being taught in school is available on the school website.


How has the school been made safe and welcoming for children with SEND?

All entrances to the school are at ground level. Access to the Year 3 and 4 classrooms is via the ground floor and those in Year 5 and 6 are accessible via a ramp. The exit from these classrooms is to ground level.

During playtimes the children have access to a variety of outdoor equipment. The school learning mentor also spends lunchtime on the playground in order to support those children who find longer breaktimes more challenging, due to social and communication difficulties.


Is there extra support available to help children with SEND in their learning?

All of our teachers are experienced in meeting the needs of children with SEND and will deliver learning opportunities that meet the needs of all children. Within each year group there is a teaching assistant who will work alongside the class teacher to support the learning of all children, especially those with SEND. This additional support will be highlighted on your child’s IEP.

At Eastern Green we also have a learning mentor, Mrs Venables, who works alongside the SENCo and class teachers to support the learning of many children within the school. This can be both class based and individual work outside of the classroom. Where appropriate the learning mentor may provide opportunities for children with IEPs to work on their individual IEP targets, through group intervention programs and 1:1 support programmes. Where this is appropriate to your child, we will always inform you that Mrs Venables is working with them.


What before and after school activities are available for children with SEND?

There is a wide range of activities available for all children, some of which are run by external providers. Information regarding these activities is available at the school office and any letters or fliers that are sent home are given to all children within the correct year groups.

Pupils at Eastern Green are also able to access ‘Premier Kidz Club’ which operates before and after school and during school holidays at our feeder infant school, St Andrew’s. Further information can be obtained by contacting Jess McCaffrey on :-07795172494


How does your school support pupils’ emotional and social development?

In order to support children with specific social, mental or emotional health difficulties the SENCo works closely with the Educational Psychologist attached to the school from the Local Authority. We also liaise with agencies such as CASS and CAMHS.

For those children who we feel can be supported with their needs within school, our learning mentor can become involved in supporting teachers in meeting their needs. This can be through group interventions such as ‘Happy to be Me’ or individualised 1:1 programs. She is also available every day on the playground to support children who find longer breaktimes challenging.


Which adults can help my child in school and do they have specialist training?

The teachers within our school receive regular training on SEND issues and where appropriate receive training on specific SEND needs, such as Autism or Dyslexia. We work closely with outside agencies, such as CASS and EPS in order to update our knowledge on good practice with children with particular needs. Within school staff share knowledge, strategies and experiences to ensure a consistency of approach across the school. During the summer term teachers attend the IEP meetings of those children who will be in their next class so as to ensure they can hear about strategies and interventions that have worked with particular children.

If you would like to hear about specific training that has recently taken place within school, please contact the SENCo or Headteacher.


What happens if my child needs specialist equipment or other facilities?

The Local Authority provides specialist equipment such as wheelchairs when prescribed by a health professional. As a school we endeavour to provide general additional equipment, such as angled boards, that your child may require to support them in their learning.  Where more specialist equipment is required we are able to request equipment through other agencies such as Access and Technology or Sensory Support.


How will I be involved in supporting my child’s learning?

Every opportunity is taken to involve parents in their child’s learning. Your views and opinions are always highly valued and welcomed as we aim to work as a partnership in supporting the needs of your child. Any decisions that are made with regards to supporting your child within school will be shared with you at IEP review meetings. Should we feel that your child would benefit from support from an outside agency then your permission will always be sought and the information received from this support will be shared with you.


How is my child involved in their own learning?

Teachers are constantly sharing information on how your child is doing, and what they need to do next, with your child through verbal feedback and through our marking policy. The children understand this marking policy and are able to use it to show them what they need to do next.

Before an IEP review is held, the class teacher or teaching assistant will always seek the opinion of the child on how they feel they are doing with their individual targets. These views are recorded on the record of the IEP review.

With children who have a Statement of Educational Needs, they are always invited to attend their annual review and their views are listened to and documented with the review paperwork.


Who should I contact if I am not happy with my child’s progress?

The first step is always to contact the class teacher as they are the person who will have the most information about your child. Should this not resolve your issue then you may contact Mrs Albans (the SENCo) who could discuss any concerns with you. In the unlikely event that your issues were not resolved then you could contact Mrs Aston (the Headteacher) If there are still issues that cannot be resolved then you can follow the complaints procedure.


Who else provides services in school for children with SEND?

Here is a list of the services currently available at Eastern Green Junior School

  • Parent Partnership Service

    This a service run which runs in order to independently support you with any issues or concerns about your child. For example, they can attend Annual Statement Reviews with  you.

  • Learning and Wellbeing Service (formerly Learning and Behaviour Support Service)

    Your child could be referred to this service if school feels that your child is not making suitable progress despite suitable support being in place. They can assess your child’s learning and help to direct school in the areas where further support may be required.

  • Educational Psychology Service

    Your child may be referred to this service if school feels that your child has more complex needs that can be assessed and support by an educational psychologist.

  • Sensory Support Service

    Your child will be referred to this service to help school to support them, if they have sensory concerns such as a hearing loss.

  • Occupational Health Service

    Your child may be referred to this service if they have difficulties or a disability which impacts upon their daily participation in activities

  • Speech and Language

    Your child may be referred to this service if school feels they have a speech production difficulty or different with accessing or understanding language.

  • Coventry Autism Support Service

    If your child is given an Autistic Spectrum Disorder diagnosis then they will be referred to Coventry Autism Support Service who will support school in ensuring their needs are being met within the classroom and within the school setting.

  • School Nursing Service

    Your child may be referred to this service is school feels that your child needs support with a health difficulty.

  • Primary Mental Health Service

    Your child may be referred to this service if it is felt your child has emotional or mental health concerns

  • Coventry Access and Technology

    Your child may be referred to this service if school feels that there are areas of your child’s needs that could be supported by access to a variety of technology that can be loaned to the school to support your child.

  • Physiotherapy Service

    Your child may be referred to this service if school feels that we needs support in ensuring that your child reaches their physical potential.


Referrals are made in partnership with parents, school staff, school nursing team, GPs and other professionals. Their advice and strategies are given to support you and your child.


Who should I contact to find out about other support for parents and families of children with SEND?

Coventry Parent Partnership

Limbrick Wood Centre

Thomas Naul Croft

Tile Hill

Coventry CV4 9QX

Tel:- 02476694307 Email:-


Coventry Autism Support Service

c/0 Corley School

Church Lane



Tel:- 01676541249


How will you help my child with transition from St Andrew’s Infant School?

The transition process begins in the final half term of the school year. The Year 3 teachers, SENCo and Headteacher have opportunities to observe the Year 2 pupils at work within their normal class settings. The children also visit Eastern Green on a number of occasions and additional visits are arranged where it is felt it will be beneficial for those with SEND. All of the parents are invited to a Welcome Meeting with Mrs Aston (the Headteacher) where they can meet the new class teacher and Mrs Albans (SENCo). Meetings are held between the Year 2 and Year 3 teachers and all information is transferred. The two SENCos will also meet to share SEND information and where appropriate, the SENCo will attend any final reviews with outside agencies at St Andrews.


How will you help my child with transition to Secondary School?

Transition to secondary school is personal to each child with SEND. For some children they receive the same level of transition support as all other pupils within the school, with the addition of the next school’s SENCo being invited to attend the final IEP review in the last half term of the year. For some pupils with SEND, they will receive further transitional support offered by the secondary school. This can involve additional visits, meetings with other children with SEND who are going to the school and in some cases summer school. Our learning mentor is willing to liaise with secondary schools and parents where appropriate, and can support parents in visiting potential secondary schools before making their final choices. All relevant paperwork is transferred to the secondary school and class teachers have face to face meetings with relevant staff from the secondary school, in which they discuss the need of all children.


Additional Information

For information about what is available for children with SEND here in Coventry, please visit to view the Coventry Local Offer for SEND.


Glossary of terms


Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder


Autistic Spectrum Disorder


Common Assessment Framework


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service


Coventry Autism Support Service


Code of Practice

Child Protection



English as an Additional Language


Education, Health and Care Plan (formerly a Statement of Educational Needs)


Educational Psychologist


Educational Psychology Service


Free School Meals


Individual Education Plan


Looked after Children


Local Authority


Learning and Wellbeing Service (formerly LABSS)


Occupational Therapy


Speech and Language Service


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities


Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator


Teaching Assistant